Which is better, electric or acoustic guitar? Variety is the spice of life
A question that many guitar enthusiasts have in the beginning is to know which is better, electric or acoustic guitar. It’s a common and friendly discussion when learning to play those instruments.
Which is better, electric or acoustic guitar?
Truth is, there is not a single correct answer. The correct choice for each player depends on several factors, being personal preferences and what are you planning to use it for among them. Here in guitarrasfuentes.com, as experts in the manufacturing of classical guitars, we are going to show you the differences between an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar, which will help you to make the best decision for you.
The way they produce sound is key for choosing between an electric or acoustic guitar
- The acoustic guitar produces sound naturally, through the soundboard.
- The electric guitar can do it in two different ways. It usually transmits the sound through amplification systems connected to the power grid, but it can also do it naturally.
In this simple scheme, you can clearly see that one option is the same as the other with the added advantage of being able to connect to an amplification system. If you do not want to limit yourself to only one option, it seems clear that the second one is more interesting. Although, if you are pretty sure that you do not intend to use it in the second way, it is more logical to decide to buy an acoustic guitar.
Personal preference is important when choosing the kind of guitar
The different ways of producing sounds already mentioned mean that each of them is recommended for a certain use. If you have a clear idea of what are you going to use your guitar for or you have any priorities for its utilization, the choice between acoustic and electric guitar is simpler.
Of course, it is also advisable to take your personal preferences into account. After all, you are the one who is going to play the instrument and who has to enjoy the music and the sound of your guitar first and foremost.
- The acoustic guitar’s sound is more natural, but when playing in big spaces, where you need external microphones, there may be feedback problems when picking up the sound of the chords.
- The electric guitar does not cause feedback problems, but its sound may be less natural. Its sound is not as rich.
For which use is an acoustic guitar better, and for which use is an electric guitar better?
So, for what type of use is each type of guitar best?
- Concert, live music. The electric guitar is the best in this case, because it has been specially designed for playing it with an amplification system. Also, its soundboard is smaller, which makes it more comfortable while on stage, and you will surely notice the difference with long concerts or demanding rehearsals. If you are thinking about live music, this is the best choice because it’s easier to make a good sound with it and the audience will enjoy the experience more.
- Professional music recordings. Professional musicians prefer acoustic guitars for recording because the naturalness of the chords is greater. If this is your case, you already have several guitars and you intend to record some music, this is probably the right one for you.
- Learning to play the guitar. When learning to play this instrument, which is better, an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar? For beginners and while you are learning, it is more advisable to play with an acoustic guitar. It is simpler and the naturalness of the sound helps in the learning process.
In conclusion, which is better, electric or acoustic guitar? Which guitar to buy? Consider your situation, what kind of use you have in mind for your guitar and, if you are an amateur or professional musician, your personal preferences as well as what other instruments you have. With all this, you will be able to choose the right one for you and enjoy using it for many years to come.